This weekly alert outlines trending fraud patterns during the current COVID-19 pandemic and what we can do to stay protected.
Unfortunately there has been an increase in reports of scams, doorstep Crime and business complaints all relating to the COVID-19 pandemic here in West Yorkshire.
Outline of trending scams:
- Scam adverts on social media claiming to offer supermarket vouchers to help with food shopping.
- Malicious Android app claiming to provide real-time Covid-19 outbreak tracker: Warning, it’s a ransomware called CovidLock!
- Bogus texts from Lloyds bank offering mortgage holiday / suspension of credit card interest, leads to link requesting personal account details.
- Scam phonecalls claiming to be broadband providers offering faster services during the lockdown.
Please note: At present there is NO vaccine for the COVID-19 virus.
- If you feel pressured, ask them to leave.
- Friends and family are best to ask.
- Don’t make any snap decisions.
- Do the checks and use a number you have found yourself, not the one the visitor provides.
Last week, (06/04/2020 – 12/04/2020) WYTS had 103 COVID-19 complaints and queries. A further 47 intelligence reports were submitted through our intelligence database relating to COVID-19 during this time period.
Stay Alert, Stay Safe