This weekly alert outlines trending fraud patterns during the current COVID-19 pandemic and what we can do to stay protected.
West Yorkshire Trading Standards News Alert issue 5 15.05.2020
Outline of trending scams:
- Young mums facebook accounts cloned and contacts approached to ask for financial support
- Fraudulent Citizens Advice calls claiming to write off 70% off debts
- Dewsbury/Batley & Pontefract: Elderly targetted offering to clear driveway & property maintenance.
Please note: At present there is NO vaccine for the COVID-19 virus.
- Last week, (04/05/2020 – 10/05/2020) WYTS had 45 COVID-19 complaints and queries. A further 28 intelligence reports were submitted through our intelligence database relating to COVID-19 during this time period.
- National Covid intelligence submissions from 04/05/20 to 10/05/20 = 313
- Yorks & Humber Covid intelligence submissions from 04/05/20 to 10/05/20 = 45 (so just over 14% of national intel)
- West Yorkshire intelligence submissions from 04/05/20 to 10/05/20 = 28
- Nationally there has been 4041 Covid 19 related intelligence reports submitted since 01/03/2020 to 10/05/2020.
West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service newsletters and resources –
- If you feel pressured, ask them to leave.
- Friends and family are best to ask.
- Don’t make any snap decisions.
- Do the checks and use a number you have found yourself, not the one the visitor provides.
Stay Alert, Stay Safe