This weekly alert outlines trending fraud patterns during the current COVID-19 pandemic and what we can do to stay protected.
Outline of trending scams:
- Fraudulent NHS branded websites claiming to have information on COVID-19 then trying to download the malware Covid19.exe file on your computer.
- Scam callers claiming to be from the NHS, selling the test and trace kit. THE NHS DOES NOT CHARGE FOR THE TEST AND TRACE SERVICE.
- Pre-recorded cold call message informing of fraudulent claim against Income Tax, prompting to call a premium number.
- Fraudulent websites selling PPE, charging customers but not delivering.
Please note: At present there is NO vaccine for the COVID-19 virus.
West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service newsletters and resources –
- If it sounds too good to be true, it very likely is
- If you feel pressured, ask them to leave.
- Friends and family are best to ask.
- Don’t make any snap decisions.
- Do the checks and use a number you have found yourself, not the one the visitor provides.
Stay Alert, Stay Safe