This weekly alert outlines trending fraud patterns during the current COVID-19 pandemic and what we can do to stay protected.
Unfortunately there has been an increase in reports of scams, doorstep Crime and business complaints all relating to the COVID-19 pandemic here in West Yorkshire.
West Yorkshire Trading Standards News Alert issue 4 24.04.2020
Outline of trending scams:
- Fake Morrisons voucher
- Fake calls made to elderly people requesting money to avoid action on council tax bills.
- Local pest control companies offering to disinfect driveways and ‘kill off COVID-19’.
- Individuals claiming to work for local government and voluntary organisations, particularly Bradford’s covid response team.
Please note: At present there is NO vaccine for the COVID-19 virus.
- If you feel pressured, ask them to leave.
- Friends and family are best to ask.
- Don’t make any snap decisions.
- Do the checks and use a number you have found yourself, not the one the visitor provides.
Last week, (13/04/2020 – 19/04/2020) WYTS had 31 COVID-19 complaints and queries. A further 39 intelligence reports were submitted through our intelligence database relating to COVID-19 during this time period.
Stay Alert, Stay Safe