This weekly alert outlines trending fraud patterns during the current COVID-19 pandemic and what we can do to stay protected.
West Yorkshire Trading Standards News Alert issue 5 01.05.2020
Outline of trending scams:
- Fraudulent emails to organisation claiming to be from the World Health Organisation offering money from the relief fund
- Fake Amazon Prime emails claiming free trial is over and money will be deducted from account
- Phishing emails claiming to sell test kits and face masks.
Please note: At present there is NO vaccine for the COVID-19 virus.
Last week, (20/04/2020 – 26/04/2020) WYTS had 65 COVID-19 complaints and queries. A further 22 intelligence reports were submitted through our intelligence database relating to COVID-19 during this time period.
West Yorkshire Trading Standards Service newsletters and resources –
- If you feel pressured, ask them to leave.
- Friends and family are best to ask.
- Don’t make any snap decisions.
- Do the checks and use a number you have found yourself, not the one the visitor provides.
Stay Alert, Stay Safe